My family doesn’t call me Mama Colucci for nothing around the house. Being raised by my grandmother (Gina) she taught me all the tricks of the trade. Everything is in your homemade sauce with all your fresh backyard spices for flavour. You don’t have to be the best cook in the world just make it with love. With Covid-19 restricting us from socializing why don’t we make my feel-good Lasagna dish together. Let’s begin, all my dear friends!
1 package of Lasagna noodles
1 pound of sweet or hot sausage
3/4 pound lean ground beef or turkey
6 boiled eggs crushed
1/2 cup of minced onions
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 cup of broth your choice, chicken is mine
1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon crushed oregano
1 12/ teaspoons of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper & hot chilly powder
4 tablespoons of chopped parsley
3 packages of sliced Harvitie cheese or 2 containers of Ricotta cheese your choice
3/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Prep Time: 30mi, Cook Time: 2hr 30mi.
- Step 1 In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef or turkey, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and broth your choice. Season with basil, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Step 2 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine Ricotta or Harvitie cheese with crushed egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Step 3 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Step 4 To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of your choice of cheese mixture. Top with a third of your cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over cheese and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Ricotta cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining Harvitie and Ricotta cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Step 5 Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Would love to hear please share how your masterpiece came out in my “contact” section. I will try to send you one of my recipies weekly. lyndacolucci.ca